Can I drive a Luxury Motorhome with my Driving Licence?

Driving a Motorhome with a car Licence

If you’re wondering whether motorhome hire is something you’re able to do on your ordinary driving licence, you’re not alone. It’s a question we get asked a lot. Motorhomes are large vehicles and quite often, in order to drive large or more specialised vehicles, additional training and licensing is mandatory. With this being the case,  it’s only natural to assume that this would be the case with motorhomes too. However, for the most part, a regular driving license is sufficient to drive most of the motorhomes we have in our fleet.


What Categories Allow Me To Drive A Motorhome On My Driving Licence?

While motorhomes are luxury vehicles, they are usually derived from the same commercial chassis created for large vans, albeit, with upgraded cabs and prestige features. With this being the case, the rules which apply to driving vans also apply to motorhomes. They can be driven on standard car licenses up to a certain weight, but over that additional categories will be needed on your licence before you can drive them. Having said that, the vast majority of the Priory Rentals Fleet fall below that weight limit and only a handful of our very largest motorhomes, such as the The Auto-Trail Arapaho Hi-Line need that extra permission, the ‘C1‘ category, which you may already have as standard depending on when you passed your driving test.

If you passed your test before January 1997, driving licences had far more categories automatically included than they do now. C1 is one of several licence categories older drivers can make use of, which younger drivers must seek additional training to have added. This category allows the holder to drive vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tons.

Having said that, drivers over 70 while enjoying additional permissions as standard, will need to submit a medical form when renewing their licences which will be taken to account by the DVLA at the time of renewal.


Do Priory Have Any Additional Licence Requirements?

For the most part, if you’re driving licence says you can drive a vehicle we’re happy to rent it to you. However, we do have a couple of additional requirements of our own. A motorhome is a little different to a car, so we ask that drivers have a little experience on the road before they drive one. For this reason, we require hirers to have at least two years driving experience and be between 25 and 75 years of age. We also ask that your licence be relatively clean (no more than 6 penalty points).

When hiring a motorhome from us, we’ll need to see your licence and confirmation that you don’t have too many endorsements.


Unsure About Your Driving Licence? Just Ask!

If you have any questions about whether you can drive a particular motorhome, or need more information about our terms and condition, please don’t hesitate to contact us, we’ll be happy to answer any queries you might have.